One of the founding members of GusGus, creative multi hyphenate Stephan Stephensen (a.k.a. President Bongo) played a major role in shaping the Icelandic music/art collective’s vision since its formation in 1995. Earlier this year he left his longtime project to pursue a solo career, releasing his ambitious full-length debut, Serengeti, in October.
Stephensen continues to burn the creative candle at both ends by DJing, performing live and recording. In between gigs he found time to helm the latest Big Shot Guest Mix featuring choice tunes by Róisín Murphy, Michael Mayer, Eagles & Butterflies and Tobias Freund.
“A DJ mix is always a pleasure to do. It combines the elements vital to the DJ; educating and pleasing,” says the Prez. “In this particular session I am also including personal favorites and tracks that have influenced my life in one way or another. ‘French Kiss,’ for example, is a track that was released when I was 18 and heard for the first time in a club in Paris where i ended up living for six years of my life. Wonderful times. I hope you enjoy the combination as much as I did when making it.”
President Bongo’s Serengeti is out now via AlbumLabel.
Big Shot Guest Mix 307: President Bongo by Big Shot Magazine on Mixcloud
Big Shot Guest Mix 307: President Bongo
- Sonic Deceptions – “Luger” (Unreleased) (Radio Bongo)
- Francis Bebey – “Akwaaba” (Original Music (2))
- Honesty 69 – “French Kiss” (Hot Version) (BCM)
- Arthur Russell – “All Boy All Girl” (Audika)
- Róisín Murphy – “Exploitation” (President Bongo Remix) (Radio Bongo)
- Michael Mayer – “Mantasy” (Jürgen Paape feat. Mounya Rezzoug Remix) (Kompakt)
- Eagles & Butterflies – “Welcome To The Jungle” (Get Physical)
- Tobias Freund – “Street Knowledge” (white label)
- White Label – “In The Water” (Original Mix) (white label)
- President Bongo – “Tramontana” (AlbumLabel)